The Challenges within Clinical Education!
In discussions with educators and clinical facilities across the nation back in 2005 (see History & Growth of TCPS to learn more), barriers and challenges related to clinical education from both perspectives were identified. Which of these barriers are your struggling with?
- Knowledge about available clinical learning opportunities.
- Too many or too few students at clinical facilities.
- Time required to secure placements – both in the school and the clinical facility.
- Double placement of student groups.
- Lack of placement data in a format that can be used for reporting.
- Redundant clinical orientation requirements and content.
- Using a clinical day for facility orientation.
- Time required for facility or school educators to orient students to assigned facilities.
- Ability to consistently evaluate clinical placements against learning outcomes.
- Limited ability to evaluate clinical preceptors.