The CHALLENGES Encountered with Student Onboarding for the Clinical Education of Healthcare Professionals ...
In discussions with educators and clinical facilities across the nation back in 2004-2005, there were 5 main barriers identified that make clinical placements difficult from both perspectives. These barriers continue to exist today where there has not been a process or system established to remove or reduce the barriers and streamline the process required to provide clinical education for healthcare students.
- Knowledge about potential open placements.
- Time required to secure placements – both in the school and the clinical facility.
- Redundant clinical requirements & orientation content for students & faculty.
- Time required in the clinical facility to orient multiple student groups to the facility.
- Time to secure new clinical facility contracts.
In addition to these barriers, clinical facilities also have the need to achieve a strong relationship with schools and their students to support their employment pipeline. Onboarding of students has some distinct similarities to onboarding of new employees. Effective onboarding of students has three interrelated goals:
- Extending a warm welcome to the students and faculty.
- Ensuring that the students and faculty are prepared to deliver safe patient care.
- Providing organizations and students with an opportunity to evaluate each other as a potential employee/employer.
TCPS provides partners with the ability to use technology to enhance the onboarding process and strive for demonstrating best practices!